1) Spray 4 mini springform pans (or ramekins) with baking spray or butter.
Prepare the cake batter as follows:
2) In a stand mixer cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar for 1-2 minutes.
3) Add eggs one at a time and beat on low for 20 seconds after each addition.
4) Whisk flour and salt, then add to creamed mixture. Beat on low until just incorporated, making sure not to over beat.
5) Add the vanilla.
Prepare the cream cheese layer as follows:
1) In a small bowl whip together cream cheese and granulated sugar until creamed, add egg and vanilla extract.
2) Pour cake batter into prepared springform pans then top with a layer of the cream cheese mixture. Bake for 60 – 75 minutes at 325 degrees (F), or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cakes.
You can go ahead and make the cakes a day ahead and refrigerate. When ready to serve, microwave until hot (approximately 40 seconds). With a kitchen torch, you can brûlée the top and sides of the cake to caramelize the sugar crystals, but this is not necessary.